Interesting options using Marigold bouillon, the invaluable vegetable stock that soups up everything
- CONCOCT a quick spice rub by mixing 1 level tablespoon of bouillon powder with 1 level teaspoon of paprika and 1 heaped teaspoon of well chopped fresh thyme. Rub into slashed chicken legs and thighs, then barbecue as usual.
- MIX 1 teaspoon of bouillon powder with a cup of boiling water, add 1 tablespoon of snipped fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley or tarragon, and serve piping hot for a quick and slimming lunchtime soup. For a more substantial soup, you could also add some cooked pasta.
- FLAVOUR boiling water with bouillon powder. Put some bulgar wheat in a bowl, pour over enough bouillon to cover, and leave to soak for 10 minutes until softened. Mix in ground allspice and cinnamon, season well, then stir in really good olive oil and serve hot with grilled meats.
- SIMMER 150mls water, the juice of 2 lemons, 225lm of white wine, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of bouillon powder, a few crushed coriander seeds and some fresh thyme sprigs for 5 minutes. Add 450g button mushrooms and simmer for about 10 minutes until tender. Lift the mushrooms out to a dish, reduce the liquid to concentrate the flavour, then pour over the mushrooms, leave to cool and scatter with chopped fresh parsley. Serve at room temperature as a starter with crusty bread.
- ADD some water – flavoured with bouillon powder and a generous splash of soy sauce or teriyaki marinade – to some matchsticks of peeled ginger in a pan, simmer for 10 minutes. Add some soaked rice noodles, a few bean sprouts and some chopped spring onions. Ladle into bowls, scatter with strips of nori if you like, and serve with chopsticks.
- MAKE a cheat’s French onion soup by simmering a generous amount of thinly sliced onions in water with some bouillon powder and a generous splash of cider or white wine for about 45 minutes, until really soft and tender. Season, add a little brandy and serve.
- BRING a pan of water to the boil, add enough bouillon powder to give it a really good flavour, then add a little turmeric and some basmati rice and simmer until tender. Drain and serve with steamed fish or poached chicken.(More recipe ideas on our Facebook page Marigold Health Foods Australia)